At Holy Family Primary & Nursery School we believe that children should enjoy Music.
We want them to realise that music can paint pictures in their minds and help them to enjoy life.
He who sings, prays twice.
Our aims in Music are
- To ensure that all pupils are given opportunities to sing, perform, play instruments, improvise and compose.
- To listen to live and recorded music and develop an understanding of the history of music.
- To learn songs and hymns which support the ethos of our school and are sung in church, class masses and assemblies.
- To provide wider opportunities and experiences to represent the school and perform at singing festivals and concerts.
- To provide instrumental tuition for classes in KS2 that are delivered by specialist peripatetic music teachers.
Our Teaching and Learning
Music in Nursery and Foundation Stage is part of everyday life! Children dance, sing songs and play instruments and can access these through their child-initiated learning as well as adult led activity. Music is encompassed in the 'Expressive Arts and Design' area of learning.
KS1 Music is taught to the whole class and is developed through a progression of skills.
KS2 Music is predominantly taught by specialist peripatetic music teachers where the children have the opportunity to learn recorders and guitars.
All of the children in the school are involved in one main performance during the year where they have the opportunity to work, sing, play together and perform to an audience of parents and parishoners. The performances are a 'Christmas Sing-a-long' for Nursery, A Nativity for FS and KS1, The Easter Story for Y3/Y4 and an end of year musical for Y5/Y6.
Our wider opportunities give our children the experience of singing and performing at a larger venue such as The Platform, The Wyvern Theatre and even the O2 and World Resorts Arena in Birmingham!