Design and Technology
'O Lord, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand'
Design and Technology Intent
At Holy Family our Design and Technology curriculum provides our children with the opportunities to
- Wherever possible, design and technology projects are linked to other subjects such as Mathematics, science, computing, history, geography and art.
- Imaginative, creative, practical subject aimed to develop and enhance skills that can be applied to real life situations.
- Children are given opportunities to think creatively both as individuals and members of a team.
- Children are encouraged to evaluate their own and others work through past and present technology.
Design and Technology Implementation
At Holy Family, the teaching of Design and Technology is based on the National Curriculum and is delivered through a 2 year rolling cycle with clearly defined end points. The children are taught 3 units of Design and Technology across the year which build on prior learning and where possible, these are linked to topics to provide cross curricular links to that is creative subject.
Ongoing assessments take place throughout the year, progress is tracked and recorded at the end of every term and this information is used to inform future lessons; ensuring children are supported and challenged appropriately.
Design and Technology Impact
At Holy Family we develop designers that have:
- The ability to use time efficiently and work constructively and productively with others.
- The ability to carry out thorough research, show initiative and ask questions to develop an exceptionally detailed knowledge of users’ needs.
- The ability to act as responsible designers and makers, working ethically, using finite materials carefully and working safely.
- A thorough knowledge of which tools, equipment and materials to use to make their products.
- The ability to apply mathematical knowledge and skills accurately.
Holy Family Whole School Overview
Progression of Knowledge and Skills
Design and Technology National Curriculum